It was a BEAUTIFUL day for a drive today—BUT...

Safe and sound.
I must tell you about a near catastrophe (some call that a "cat's ass trophy").

Anyway, I was on my way into town mid-afternoon when an oncoming truck with a load of something lost, into the air, what looked like a piece of cardboard about two feet square. It swirled in the air and landed vertically in the middle of the road on one corner. When it landed it appeared to act more solid than cardboard as it bounced into the air and slicing directly into my path. It was metal!!! I immediately pulled sharply to the right to avoid it hitting me as it was clear that it was coming my way and intent on eviscerating me. It landed RIGHT where I would have been had I not swerved. I didn't wet my pants but I bet the driver of the SUV behind me, who MUST have witnessed the whole thing, may have.
Keep alert out there!
- David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately it happens more than you think. I was following a truck pulled utility trailer a few years back when a full piece of plywood came flying off it......at highway speed. It sailed right by me, missing by just a few feet.

Yes, we need to be vigilant out there, especially when following trucks of any sort.

Gary

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous said...

Glad you are safe and sound.
Johanna

Anonymous said...

Only recently a friend of mine who lives in town was on the trans Canada when the wheel came off a vehicle in front of him and smashed into the front of his car. He was lucky it did not bounce up into his windscreen. Today hazards are everywhere on our roads, drive safe !!