What is this?

...and why would I want to keep it?
- David

Well, a couple of you had pretty good answers, but here's the scoop. If you ever had the experience of finding 'crumbs' under your aging British sports car, you probably know that that is the symptom of deteriorating seat foam. You may also be aware that one can pay hundreds of dollars on just the foam for the TR6. So, I decided that it was past time for me to replace the foam—not with manufactured molded sets but with home-made components.

     The difficulty with do-it-yourself is the frigging time involved, but I am a natural born frigger. The foam I needed for two seats was less than $100 and consisted of two densities of high quality foam from "The Foam Factory". I was not going to take a chance on wasting any foam trying to get the tapering contours fitting just right so I thought the better idea would be to make a model or template out of solid Styrofoam, cutting and fitting, shaving and trying to get it just right. The photo is pretty close to a perfect fit. Then I made the two components from that. It went well. I did much research to find the right spray adhesive and other tips.

Here is the seat before recovering:

...and here's the seat completed before installing:

No wrinkles, no bulges.
Now I must get started on the driver's seat which will be a bit more work because of the upholstery damage. We'll see how it goes.
- David N.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You carved the profile of some piece of trim (interior/exterior) for the Morgan so that you can have someone make one for you. Possibly for the 4 seater?
Bob E.

Anonymous said...

Could it be the Fickle Finger of Fate??????

Anonymous said...

top half of a KEEP OUT sign??????????????

Anonymous said...

You WILL have a tech day for this won't you (this is an order...not a request). I can't be the only one who wants to see this in action.
Bob E.

David Nielsen said...

Sure thing, Bob, but remember, Joe reigns supreme in the DIY world. I just try to live by his moto: If someone can do it, why can't I? Then just DO it!

Joe Hine said...

Just one comment David. The best implement I've found for cutting seat foam is an electric knife. Works very well.

Joe

David Nielsen said...

Exactly what I used.